Mountain Biking for Jesus Bear

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run that you may obtain it…But I discipline my body and keep it under control.” 1 Corinthians 9:24, 26
“Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.” Hebrews 12:1
So what does running and mountain biking have to do with Christ?
Directly? Nothing. As far as I know, Jesus never ran or rode a mountain bike.
Indirectly? Everything.
“The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.” Psalm 24:1
“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10.
“And God saw everything that He had made, and behold, it was very good.” Genesis 1:31.
Physical fitness extends beyond the ability to run, or pedal: it allows us to locomote, to be active, longer and with greater intensity in all our tasks. We can physically serve more people for longer. That’s if you think church activities are the highest form of living.
Most Protestants subscribe to a different theory: “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might.” Ecclesiastes 9:10. Working for “the church” is not necessarily better or more holy than working in, say, the oil and gas industry (though it might be – more on that later). Rather, “Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than men.” Colossians 3:23.
So why am I running? Because I enjoy it; and I enjoy riding. I enjoy pushing myself to my limits, mentally as well as physically – and a large majority of fitness is breaking down mental barriers to what you can and can’t do. And I love that – I love thinking I’m dying but realizing I’m making it, I can continue to push. And I like doing what I – and others – have told me I can’t, that I don’t do well, that I’m not made for.
Mostly I like tearing down people’s excuses by example. I like being that annoying little toad that, when people say, “oh, I can’t do that because I’m like this,” I pipe up and say: “I’m like that, and I still do it.”
Don’t you hate that guy? It’s like, shut up, you worm, we’re not talking about you.
But we are talking about either putting ourselves in chains, or lying – neither of which are Christ-like.
Now, if you just don’t want to run or bike or be physically active, I don’t care; you do need to live the life you’ve been called to and prepared for.
But if there are things you want to do that you don’t seem to have energy for, then come along as I train for what I have planned. You don’t have to do it all, or do it exactly the way I do; but you might find some help along the way.

Above all, have fun, and be awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stewardship: Intro

Inspiration to My Writing