TUTu: I Got the Runs

So, I'm moving Training Update to Tuesday where I meant for it to be originally (that's why it's TUTu!), but my schedule got thrown off a little bit last week with it being the first week of the blog and all that.

So the rain did come last weekend - looked like it was going to hold off enough for a bike ride Sunday morning, but no. BUT! Erin and I did our first official 5k of the year (Lake Band 5k supporting Lake High School Band). I came in 2nd in my age group, and 44th overall, which isn't terrible; she was also 2nd in her age group and something like 47th overall - only about 12-13 seconds behind me.



So, Sunday morning I wake up after about 5 hours of sleep. I had scarfed down some chicken and Mountain Dew for dinner because I felt like it; then at 2am decided to stuff in a giant container of leftover pasta, hoping that would fuel me for the ride I intended to do.

But, at 8am, the roads outside my apartment were wet, and the skies were forboding gray - not worth the hour endeavor to get suited up and to the trail when they might be wet or rainy. So, after a cup of coffee and six chapters in the Bible I said, you know what? I'm not going to let this day go by without doing some training; my 3-hour race is in 4 weeks, and I'm not ready.

So I laced up my Mizunos (love those shoes!) and hit the street. Not far, I thought; I'll just run down to the McKinley monument, up the stairs, and back home.

The rain hit somewhere around mile 2.5 and it felt GOOD. Runkeeper acted up a little bit, with my phone getting wet, but we survived. Pelted up the stairs and only felt a little sick near the top; cautiously back down because they were covered with water.

As I neared Fulton Road, a curious thing happened: I felt really good. I said "okay, if I can run straight across Fulton to Ink Park without stopping for traffic (I HATE stopping or running in place!) then I'll go for it." I was at 3-point-something miles (Runkeeper updates me every 5 minutes; I have no idea how far I've gone until that update).

And I kept feeling good. My left knee started getting a little tight (where I'd had tendinitis ten years ago and thought I could never run again) somewhere around mile 5.5 - 6. I turned around and headed back toward my apartment; I figured out if I kicked my heels as close to my butt as I could get them, I could stretch my knees as I ran, and the tendons around the kneecaps felt a lot better.

Final score: 7.26 miles in 1:07:25 and about a 70' climb up the monument stairs.

So I'm still waiting for my first bike ride of the season. Hopefully that'll happen soon. But for an Easter Sunday, that was a pretty awesome run.

Be awesome bear!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stewardship: Intro

Inspiration to My Writing