This is Only a Test

I debated for a brief second whether or not to label this with “healthy eating,” then looked at what I was planning on eating and thought, naahh, not yet. We’ll see how it goes, first.
Here’s the scam: I’ve got four additives to drinking just straight water that I’m going to be testing as I prepare for my 3-hour MTB race in May. They’re all street-legal, and cover a fairly broad spectrum.
First: LifeWater by Sobe. I’ve used this before in a 50/50 mixture with water, with a decent amount of success. I personally feel like straight LifeWater is too sweet when I’m really pushing my limits, so I watered it down and liked it.
Second: Nuun Energy tablets. I got the variety pack so I can try a couple flavors. This was recommended to me by a friend when I wanted something that dissolved completely in water, so I could add it to a CamelBak (Hammer Heed powders, for instance, do not completely dissolve, and you need to shake the container before taking a swig – something that’s nigh impossible to do with a CamelBak. Yes, I tried, and yes I felt like an idiot. Or a wet dog.)
Third: Hammer Gels. I originally wanted PowerGel, because I’d used those about a decade ago and they were tremendous; but the shop didn’t have PowerGel and a few other places I looked didn’t have them either. So: Hammer time.
Fourth: Clif Bar Shot Bloks. I’ve also used these before, but never in a race situation. I’m betting they’re not worth the effort to try to ingest while riding – but I’m a fair man, I’ll give them a try. If they work better than anything else, it might be worth it.
So that’s the line-up: water with every option, and I’m considering testing out different pre-ride-day dinners, as well – mostly between a solid plate of pasta, or a hearty helping of bean soup. I did a bean soup and baked potato dinner regimen a couple years back when I was on a trainer for seven days straight, anywhere from 12 to 40 miles at a go – and it worked out really, really well. Super-good source of potassium and protein and carbs. So we might give that a try too: one ride on pasta and a supplement; one ride on beans and the same supplement. See what works out best.
Now I just have to figure out how to fit eight long rides into my schedule in five weeks. There’s a good chance that won’t be possible.
But this is the bear life: you make do with what God gives you and trust the results to Him.
Now this kinda fits in the Christian tag. Darnit.

Ride hard and be awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stewardship: Intro

Inspiration to My Writing