TUTu: Rides!

Finally, some time in the saddle; and by “some time” I mean my sit-bones are screamin’!

(That's the polite way of saying my butt hurts...)

Friday afternoon, the fiancé and I went out to the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath at Ernie’s Bike Shop and rode up to Canal Fulton, and then pushed it the whole way back – 16.3 miles. Sunday afternoon we went back again but starting at John Glenn Grove south of Masillon down to Bolivar, back and continued north to Walnut Road in Masillon, then back – 24.4 miles there for a total of 40 miles in three days. She’s got some stamina, let me tell you – I was struggling to keep up after the last turn-around. Now, before you laugh, keep in mind she’s on a hybrid and I’m on a full-suspension mountain bike, so she did have a slight advantage. But still, it was an awesome couple rides.

I was using the Nuun energy tablets both rides, and I have mixed thoughts. On the one hand, I’m not real impressed yet; but I was riding with a water bottle, not my usual hydration pack – and I’m still not real great at getting a bottle out of the cage and back in. Space is a little tight down there, with the rear shock and all; so I wasn’t drinking as often as I would be with a pack. So I’m not giving up on the tablets yet, but I’m also looking forward to trying something different. The flavors are pretty awesome though. Oh, and it seems like the water isn’t staying very cold; I don’t know if the effervescent action is warming it a little bit, or what might be going on. Stay tuned on that, as well.

So the plan is, next ride, Nuun tablets again, this time with ice and in a hydration pack (probably my Source Hipster on a shorter ride); then I’m working on a ride at Mohican with a full-size CamelBak (I’m hoping to pick up the M.U.L.E. ENV this week) using my LifeWater/water mix, and trying the Hammer Gels – I’m betting that’s going to be the killer combo.

Aside from that, we have another 5k this Saturday in Kent; and the big MTB race is in two and a half weeks. Which is scary. But I’ll make it. Hopefully.

Won’t know till I find out.


Train hard and be awesome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stewardship: Intro

Inspiration to My Writing