Story of my Favorite Pet

This week's writing prompt was to tell a story of life with your favorite pet - either one you own, have owned, or wish you owned. Now, I could tell about the German Shepherd I had - Sheba - for there are certainly stories there to be told. But I thought what might be more interesting is to talk about something that's been going on in my head lately that hasn't really gone on in there before. So, perhaps a little more "meet the writer" than "have the writer tell you a story."


The first part of this story happened early last year, and was likely the direct result of this blog. I was out walking a pipeline, alone with my thoughts as I often do; also as my brain often does, I started imagining a scenario - this particular one in which I envision myself suddenly seeing a bear off in the woods next to one of my pipelines. I start to let this scenario play itself out.

Obviously, the bear doesn't immediately charge at me and kill me, because the scenario would end. Instead, I freeze and ask God what I should do - run? (I know bears cannot be outrun if they are in earnest.) Stay put? I feel a peace inside, so I stay still and watch the bear.

It starts moving toward me. Again, I ask God what to do. I continue to feel peace, and so I stand. He closed the mouths of the lions for Daniel some thousands of years ago; he can close the mouth of a bear for this Daniel, too.

The bear keeps coming, and I keep feeling peace, until it comes right up to me. Asking God again what I should do, I feel Him move me to reach out and pet it. So I do.

At this moment, in my musings, I'm struck with the greatest desire to be able to pet a bear, to feel its thick fur and bulk, to smell it and interact with it as a pet. I've never really, really felt that before.

Don't worry, I'm not going to go out and try to pet a bear; I have a bunch of books to write, and I don't want to tempt God.

Fast forward to sometime last December or this January (I forget exactly when), I'm either reading a book or watching a movie (not Frozen), and someone mentions a caribou - and out of nowhere, I suddenly want to pet one of them too, to have the interactions with one of them that I did the bear.

I'm not sure what it means. I'm hoping it's a desire that can be fulfilled in eternity. But my mind can't stop thinking of different animals I would love to be able to pet, and hold, and just be among without fear - mine or theirs.

But not moose; moose are mean. They sit on your car, I've seen them do it.

So I guess life with my pet would be out in the wilderness with all the creatures of the earth, just hanging out.

We'll call that "flash fiction."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stewardship: Intro

Inspiration to My Writing