Writing Prompt Sunday - Setting as Character

Writing Prompt: Setting as Character


Durango. A name that typically evinces a “where’s that?” - the geographical equivalent of “who?” Colorado’s lesser progeny. “These are my sons: Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, the twins Keystone and Vail, Telluride, and Fruita’s around here somewhere.” “Are these all your sons?” The prophet asks. “No, there is one more - the youngest, Durango.” But no one thought to call him.

Not saying it’ll slay a giant and become the next capital of Colorado, and write songs; just saying.

Part Old-West town. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad trains sleep there at night, waking up with steam-whistle yawns that echo through the valley at 8:00, 8:45, and 9:30. The San Juans are starting to peter out by then, looking more like their eastern-seaboard counterparts; enough to give the sun something to rise over, but nothing to crane your neck up at. The buffalo don’t roam outside of James Ranch northward where you can get fresh meat to go, or in their restaurant. But the sky! It truly is not cloudy most days. Durango always wants to go outside and do something. Trails depart from downtown through Horse Gulch any time; mountain passes await; ski slopes; lakes; the Animas River. Buttes! You can’t have an Old West setting without buttes; the San Juans here gave birth to twins, just a couple miles west of downtown. Its a good meeting-spot after robbing the local stage - or just catch your breath after riding the trails all the way to the top.

Part hippie stop-through. I met one, the first night there. Came out of the woods dragging a giant plastic bag filled — I assume, officer — with all her possessions. Was really, super excited to meet me, man. Awesome. Didn’t need to give me her name, even; just the fact of making contact with another human being was terrific.

The land couldn’t care less about you. It’s high desert, low plant-life. But the trees and shrubs that are there didn’t get there by being soft. You get out of their way, not the other way around. Look to the sun and sky and the breeze if you want “nice.”

_____________

And, I kind of ran out. I’m not usually paying attention to my surroundings that much, to turn them into a character. Now, give me a place I’ve made up - that I might be able to do.


Anyway, I’ll see you all next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stewardship: Intro

Inspiration to My Writing