What Does My Office Look Like?

Quick update, for those who noticed I did NOT post last weekend: my wife and I took a last-minute little trip out to a cabin in the woods for our 1-year anniversary, which is why I wasn't here on Saturday. So sorry!! We're going to keep rolling with the original list, and I'll circle back to Why Book Covers Are So Important in October (which might work out, because I'll likely be working on the cover for Book Two by then!)

So, without further ado, I present to you My Office!


When you first step foot into my office, you may easily and understandably mistake it for a living room. There's paneling behind one couch, a large picture window behind the other. The floor is carpeted, unlike the tiled kitchen right next to it. There's a little rocking chair facing the TV, and an entertainment stand with the usual (and some unusual) assortment of movies, TV on DVD, video games, and consoles. There's lamps and candles and little stuffed animals...

And you notice the stuffed animals are peering down at you from a great height, perched as they are on a 7-foot bookshelf. Narnia, Clancy, Dekker, and a host of others line the shelves, with other books stacked in front of them, and on the floor.

A second 7-footer is similarly crammed, this with mostly speculative fiction. Random stacks of books also evidence a need for another book shelf. To your left, though, are two smaller shelves about waist-high; to your right is a third small shelf, all filled to overflowing. There must be close to 1,000 books here! you think to yourself.*

More clues surface. Peeking out from behind the left couch is a laptop - a MacBook Pro. But there's something else: papers with drawings of coastlines and names you don't recognize -- Burieng Ocean? Salmean Sea? Clanaso Islands? You paid decent attention in Geography class, even if that was some time ago. Did he mean "Canary Islands"?

There are pages of notes, too. More strange names. Hmm, now you now what's going to happen in Book Four.

My office doesn't have a lock on it. You can observe me at work while cooking dinner, and while you eat it and watch a movie. Sometimes I lay down in my office while reading a book; other times I sit up with the Mac in my lap and write - blog and Facebook posts, tweets, emails, and fantasy novels. Soon I'll be writing posts and papers for school, and not too long after that my office will have a baby boy in it, sitting in his mother's lap while they rock away and I work and hope, one day, this will be the only office I have -- that, and maybe a mountain bike trail.

But not yet. We'll see what happens by the time I get to that scene you just spoiled for yourself in Book Four.


*According to my wife's Book Buddy app, we have 945 books between the 5 shelves in our living room, and one shelf in our bedroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stewardship: Intro

Inspiration to My Writing